Search by Labels

Monday, October 10, 2011

Review: Bloody Jack (series) - L.A. Meyer

Rating: 5/5
Summary: The first book of this series starts off in the early 19th century with a young girl, Mary "Jacky" Faber, who ends up aboard a British Naval ship dressed as a boy and begins her life of trouble and adventure. The other books in the series are each about a different predicament she gets in to and how she gets out of it.
Review: This is one of my favorite series of books ever. I've read the whole sequence (I believe there are 9 now) several times. They are a bit fantastical, and you find yourself saying "Not again Jacky!" over and over, but I love the adventure and friskiness she embodies. I fell in love with the characters and even named my daughter after one! The series sort of follows the "conflict and resolve" pattern that the Harry Potter's do, and you root for the main characters even though they have many flaws of their own. If you read this book and don't fall in love with Jacky, I think there may be something wrong with you!
SPECIAL NOTE: You MUST listen to this on audio if possible. Katherine Kellgren is by far the best narrator I have ever heard in my entire life. She executes all the accents and songs perfectly. I don't know about you, but I just don't have the capability to develop a good French, English, English Cockney, Spanish, Jamaican, American English accent and more in my brain (and I certainly don't have the ability to do those in song.)

No comments:

Post a Comment