Search by Labels

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

More advice for new moms

My daughter is now 8 months old and is still not an easy baby. She fought bottles up until about a month ago, wakes up 4+ times a night, and can't play with her toys alone for more than 5 minutes, no joke. Despite all this, I still think she is the absolute best little girl on the planet. She's so smart (probably too smart for her own good,) incredibly funny (she always makes me laugh when I'm crying,) and has such attitude for a baby you'd think there was a 4-year-old trapped in her head. Anyway, through the past 8 months, I have picked up a few things on taking care of a tricky baby.
Here they are:

1. Amazon Moms is your best friend. My husband and I have price compared and if you sign up with www.amazon.com/mom you not only get free 2 day shipping on almost everything, but you get the absolute lowest diaper prices if you sign up for "Subscribe and Save." I can't tell you how many times that 2 day shipping saved my life when I was in the first few months with a new infant and needed bottles, accessories for my pump, or a toy I heard would help her sleep and couldn't leave the house. Seriously, it costs nothing to sign up, so do it now. (By the way, that 2 day shipping applies to everything on Amazon thats eligible for "Prime Shipping" so its great for last minute birthday/shower/wedding gifts!)

2. Of all the dozens of sleep techniques we've tried the Fisher Price Soothe and Glow Seahorse is the only thing that has worked consistently from when she was an infant to now. Its just the right volume and sounds and the glow is just bright enough to distract the baby without waking them up.

3. Get a bouncy seat. Up until about 2 weeks ago I could stick her in it, place her in front of the shower curtain and usually get about a 5-10 minute shower without her freaking out (my daughter is very clingy.) And I used it for when I needed to do basically anything that I had to put her down for but couldn't trust her not to roll off the bed (makeup, getting dressed, wrapping presents, etc.) Just make sure you strap your baby in!

4. Invest in insulated, light-blocking curtains for your baby's room. If you already have curtains, like I did, buy liners and attach them to the backs. Blocking the light helped my little girl sleep much better at nap time and kept some of the cold out during the winter.

5. Mylicon helped with her gas pains for the first few months. But don't waste your money on the name brand. The generic that you can buy at your grocery store is the same product and typically half (if not less) the price.

Hope those few tips help a little! If you have questions, feel free to comment below and I will answer asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment